ESG -> Environment -> Scope 3 -> eWaste Reporting
- build consistent ESG data
- keep current with updates to ESG standards and frameworks
- prevent greenwashing
Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ)
GFANZ is a global coalition of leading financial institutions that has created a set of related frameworks, tools and other resources to accelerate the decarbonization of the economy.
1. GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS FOR ELECTRONICS
GFANZ recommends Scope 3 based on "materiality". This fundamentally flawed stance undermines their recommendations listed below. Everything is material.
a.) emissions reductions targets should be consistent with 1.5 degrees C scenarios.
b.) net-zero emissions by 2050, with interim targets for 2030 or sooner.
c.) use low or no-overshoot scenarios wherever possible.
PORTFOLIO FOOTPRINT REDUCTION TARGETS
GFANZ acknowledge "an over-emphasis on portfolio footprint reduction targets may have unintended consequences of reducing financing support to real-economy emissions reduction efforts."
2. BIODIVERSITY: The LEAP approach
GFANZ addresses the need to protect and restore land, oceans, fresh water, and the atmosphere. Notably, they reference the Partnership for Biodiversity Accounting Financials (PBAF), a sister-initiative of PCAF (the Partnership for Carbon Accounting Financials). One assessment approach, being developed by the Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD), is the LEAP approach. LEAP involves four core phases of analytic activity:
a.) Locate your interface with nature;
b.) Evaluate your dependencies and impacts;
c.) Assessyour risks and opportunities; and
d.) Prepare to respond to nature-related risks andopportunities, and report to investors.
Only one mention of pollution
2) COMPONENT: ACTIVITIES AND DECISION-MAKING
Example 7: Groupe BPCE Green Weighting Factor
"The bank assesses indicators on water, biodiversity, waste, and air pollution, though the weighting of each metric depends on the sector or project."
HOW MOBICYCLE CONSULTING WORKS
- We identify your upstream and downstream electronics suppliers (based on available data)
- We map your processes around electronics management (including your suppliers)
- We retrieve data from your team, your suppliers and external resources
- We combine the process maps and data into a preliminary report
- We use the preliminary report to calculate Scope 3 emissions
- We create a Scope 3 emissions report (the preliminary report with emissions calculations)
- We integrate the Scope 3 emissions report with your other Scope 3 reporting, financial reporting, disclosures, etc.
This demo is to be used for example purposes only.
Goals for your consulting engagement
- Build consistent ESG data
- Keep current with updates to ESG standards and frameworks
- Prevent greenwashing
Deliverables from your consulting engagement
- A Scope 3 report on your electronics and electricals
- A report showing the relationship between Scope 3 reporting and financial reporting
- A report recommending ways to improve your eWaste Scope 3 reporting
Activities in support of achieving your outcomes
- Map your business processes around electronics and eWaste
- Collect the data relevant to those processes
- Identify the waste suppliers in your eWaste value chain
SCOPE 3 REPORTING
Greenhouse gas emissions of electronic and electrical equipment you purchased (excluding fixed assets).
Carbon footprint of electronic and electrical equipment that is used to produce goods and services (fixed assets).
Waste generated in operations
Carbon footprint of the electronic and electrical equipment not sold to a customer.
Transportation & distribution of sold products
Greenhouse gas emissions created when transporting and distributing your sold electronics and electrical equipment.
Processing of sold products
Greenhouse gas emissions generated when processing your sold electronic and electrical equipment.
Use of sold products
Expected GHG emissions to be generated by your customers over their lifetime use of your electronic or electrical device.
End of life treatment of sold products
Calculated GHG emissions if your sold products are landfilled, or recycled.
The SDGs or Global Goals are a collection of 17 interlinked global goals designed to be a "blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all".
The EU taxonomy is a classification system, establishing a list of environmentally sustainable economic activities.
Climate-related disclosure in public company filings. The Commission's 2010 guidance offers disclosure requirements around climate change.
Australia, China, Hong Kong SAR, India, Japan, Singapore, and Thailand.
South American trade bloc established by the Treaty of Asunción in 1991. Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay are full members.
3 Main Reports
Evaluate the climate impact of your electronics and electrical equipment
Evaluate the climate impact of your sold electronics and electrical equipment